Eat them as soon as they’re cooked, so they’re as crisp as possible.
½ red pepper
A few florets of broccoli
A few florets of cauliflower
a few slices of aubergine or courgette, halved
1L vegetable oil
For the batter
80g plain flour
½ tsp cornflour
120 ml very cold sparkling mineral water
a pinch of salt.
- Chop the veg into bite sized chunks.
- Add the flour, cornflour and salt to a bowl. Whisk in the sparkling water until you have a thick batter.
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy pan or deep fat fryer. Make sure it doesn’t come more than halfway up the sides.
- When bubbling, dip each vegetable in the batter, shake off the excess, and using tongs, drop into the oil. It will fry very quickly, so watch carefully.
- When each piece is golden brown, lift out and drain on kitchen paper.
- Serve with a sweet chilli dipping sauce
NOTE: You can use any veg you like, but don’t cut them too small as they will shrink in the oil.