100g plain or smoked firm tofu
1 tsp turmeric
2 tbsps soya yoghurt
1 tsp lemon juice
salt and pepper
handful of watercress
8 slices white or brown bread
- Break up the tofu until it’s crumbled, then add to a small saucepan with a dab of vegan spread to stop it sticking. Add the turmeric, salt and pepper and gently stir till the mix is a pale yellow shade.
- Set the pan aside to cook, and chop up the watercress, discarding any thick stalks.
- Add the lemon juice to the soya yoghurt, then blend into the tofu. Add the watercress, and extra pepper.
- Make the sandwiches, cut the crusts off and slice into neat squares or triangles. Serves with watercress to garnish.
Smoked “Calmon” sandwiches
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 tbsp miso paste
½ tsp liquid smoke
1 tbsp nori (seaweed) flakes
6 tbsps water
salt and black pepper
1 tsp lemon juice & lemon wedges
8 thin slices brown bread
- Preheat oven to 200°
- Lightly oil a baking tray and roast the carrots at 200° for 10 minutes, then lower the heat to 80° and roast for another 40-50 minutes, covering with foil if they begin to brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool, before using a peeler to slice them into long, thin strips.
- Mix together the other ingredients in a shallow dish. Put the carrot strips into the marinade and leave in the fridge for at least 3 hours, overnight if you can.
- Drain the carrot strips, and make the sandwiches. Add an extra grind of pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice, before removing the crusts and cutting into elegant triangles. Serve with lemon wedges.