½ a head of cauliflower (about 360-400g), broken into florets
1 small potato (about 70-80g), cubed
½ onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
600ml vegetable stock
100ml plant milk
1 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
chilli flakes or toasted almonds for serving (optional)
- Throw the onion into a soup pan, and soften in the oil over a medium heat until it’s fairly floppy and transparent. Add the garlic, and cook for another minute or two.
- Add the cauliflower and potato, and salt and pepper. Pour in the veg stock to cover the vegetables.
- Bring to the boil, then turn to a simmer. Put a lid on the pan, and cook for around 40 mins. Check the veg is soft.
- When it is, transfer everything to a blender (or use a hand blender) and whizz till smooth. Add 100 ml plant milk and whizz again.
- Serve with chilli or toasted almonds sprinkled on top, or a swirl of plant yogurt. And bread, don’t forget.
NOTE: Don’t skip the potato- it offsets the slightly bitter taste that cooked cauliflower can produce.