Makes 8 pieces
A lighter and cheaper option than rice, but you can easily use sushi rice- just follow the packet instructions to cook.
½ a cauliflower head
1 tbsp rice wine
1 tsp sugar
1 nori seaweed sheet
1 small carrot
wasabi sauce (optional)
- Chop the cauliflower and whizz in the food processor till it resembles rice. Microwave with a splash of water for 7 minutes.
- Leave to cool spread on a tray, then mix the rice wine and sugar, and toss it through the rice.
- Peel the vegetables and cut into small matchsticks.
- If you have a rolling mat, place the seaweed shiny side down. Spread a layer of rice all over, leaving 1 cm free at the top. In the middle, lay the vegetable matchsticks.
- Starting with the end nearest to you, roll tightly into a cylinder. Dampen the edge to stick it down.
- Place in fridge for 15-20 mins, then use a sharp, wet knife to cut into pieces.
- Serve with soy sauce and wasabi.
NOTE: If you don’t have a bamboo mat, use a square piece of strong plastic.