200g paella rice
50g firm tofu
1 red pepper, diced
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
500ml vegetable stock
100- 150ml dry white wine
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp smoked paprika (though unsmoked will do)
½ tsp smoked paprika for the marinade
Pinch of saffron (if you have it in) or ½ teaspoon turmeric
3 large tomatoes, skinned, deseeded and chopped
A handful of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
50g frozen peas
Juice of half a lemon.
1-2 tbsps olive oil
Salt and black pepper.
- Press the tofu and cut into 1cm cubes (no need to be too exact). Mix the soy sauce and ½ tsp of smoked paprika in a dish and toss the cubes in it till coated.
- Heat the oil in a wide, shallow pan, and fry the tofu cubes till crisp. Set them aside.
- Turn the heat down, add the peppers and garlic and cook till softened. Stir in the rice.
- Pour the wine into the pan, and cook till it’s reduced by around half.
- Add the stock, saffron or turmeric, and ½ tsp smoked paprika. Bring to the boil, then simmer, stirring regularly.
- Add the lemon juice, tomatoes and peas, and cook for another 10 minutes, or until the liquid has almost cooked off and the rice is as you want. If it’s drying out, add more stock.
- Stir the crispy tofu ‘lardons’ in and heat through.
- Scatter with the parsley, and serve with lemon wedges. Season to taste.