Your master seitan pork recipe:
Makes enough for 6 dishes
200g Vital Wheat Gluten
15g nutritional yeast
1 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp onion salt (or salt)
1 tsp dried sage
¼ tsp 5 spice powder
1 tsp vegetable oil
175ml warm vegetable stock
- Shake all the dry ingredients into a large bowl and mix together.
- Stir in the oil, then slowly pour in the stock, mixing until you have a bread-like consistency. Form into a ball.
- Knead and stretch- for a chewier, meaty texture, knead for up to 5 minutes – for light, around 1 min will do. Shape into a ‘steak’, about 2 cm thick.
- Add any remaining stock to a large pan of boiling water, reduce to a simmer, and cook the seitan for 40 mins.
- When cooked, drain, cut into 6 pieces, and press in a tofu press, or use as it is.
BLOB: Find Vital Wheat Gluten at Amazon from around £5
Chinese No-Pork Belly
75g seitan, cut into strips, and halved.
1 tsp 5 spice powder
2 tbsps soy sauce
1 tbsp maple syrup
½ tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsps powdered ginger (or 2cm fresh, chopped)
1 star anise
½ tsp cinnamon
2 small dried red chillies
- Heat the oil and maple syrup in a medium sized pan till it bubbles. Add the seitan pieces, and cook until sugar has caramelised and hardened one side of the pieces – around 10 minutes.
- Add the soy, ginger, star anise, cinnamon, chillies, and water to just cover the seitan, and cook on low for 15 mins.
- Take out the seitan with a slotted spoon and set aside. Boil the remaining liquid for 10 mins or until it reduces down to a syrup. Put the seitan back in the pan, and stir to coat before serving.
Serve with rice.